2014 Award of Excellence - Best LEED Office, Schilling Green II
In 2012, Merritt transformed an outdated warehouse site into a showcase for green building. With the goal of receiving LEED Platinum certification, several green techniques and attributes were put in place from start, beginning with reusing the crushed concrete, masonry and asphalt from the existing building and parking lot as aggregate for the new site. In fact, throughout the demolition of the existing facility and construction of the new building, more than 95 percent of all waste was recycled.
Among the building’s many green features, the innovative underfloor air distribution (UFAD) system offers the most tangible benefit to building occupants. Unlike traditional overhead systems, the UFAD delivers fresh air directly to the breathing zone and allows employees to independently adjust the airflow within their workspaces to provide greater thermal comfort. The UFAD’s modular access flooring also facilitates data cabling and accommodates an array of workspace configurations.
In addition to the UFAD, Merritt utilized the following green building strategies in the construction and operation of Schilling Green II:
- More than 7,350 tons of concrete from the former building demolition were crushed and reused on-site for backfill.
- More than 94% of the demolition and construction waste was diverted from landfills.
- White TPO reflective roof as well as a section of green roof
- Irrigation water use reduced by 59% by way of weather stations, efficient heads and drought-tolerant landscaping
- Potable water usage reduced by 48% by using waterfree urinals, metered faucets and dual flush toilets
- Building envelope utilizing insulation with a greater R Value and Low-E glass, as well as energy-efficient boiler package and high-performance lighting, reduced building energy usage by 28% below ASHRAE 90.1-2004
- 25 kW photovoltaic array and a solar hot water collector to heat the building’s domestic hot water
- More than 30% of the building materials contain recycled content
- More than 25% of the building materials extracted, processed and manufactured locally
- All low-VOC materials
- Two electric vehicle charging stations and 17 hybrid vehicle parking spots
- CO2 monitoring system
- Green housekeeping
Now more than 90% occupied, Schilling Green II has been a tremendous economic success for Merritt. Not only has the Class A office building achieved LEED®-CS Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, but it has been recognized by both NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, and the Associated Builders and Contractors for its excellence in design and construction:
- 2014 Award of Excellence - Best LEED Office, Schilling Green II from NAIOP-MD
- 2013 Honorable Mention for the National NAIOP Sustainable Development Award
- 2012 Green Project of the Year from the Associated Builders and Contractors – Baltimore-Metro Chapter
- 2012 Merit Award of Excellence for a New Project Over $10 Million from the Associated Builders and Contractors – Baltimore-Metro Chapter